The Zero DS combines innovation with passion to deliver the world’s most versatile electric motorcycle. Designed to be agile in the dirt and quick on the street, the Zero DS represents a new kind of freedom.
Blast down a gravel road or a dusty trail. When you’re ready, stealthily pass from the wild to the civilized as you arrive at your destination. The Zero DS is tough when you demand it and distinguished when required. Its edgy yet sophisticated appearance is highlighted by an eye-catching twin spar frame that is both rigid and lightweight.
Propelled by the most advanced technology in the industry, the Zero DS is a fully electric motorcycle that can handle any surface you throw at it. Overcoming obstacles and maintaining control is effortless due to its direct-drive, fully adjustable suspension and rugged wheel set. Under technical riding conditions, Zero’s revolutionary Z-Force? motor delivers astonishing responsiveness with the twist of your wrist. As with Zero’s entire model line, the Zero DS offers a liberating ownership experience with its maintenance-free powertrain, penny per mile ‘fuel’ cost and powerful acceleration.
New for : The evolution of extraordinary
The Zero DS is built off the revolutionary Zero S platform. Similarly, it can now travel farther and features many of the same improvements as the Zero S. Using the new Z-Force? Power Tank aftermarket accessory, owners of any Zero DS model have the option to increase the size of their overall power pack by an additional 2.8 kWh up to a total of 14.2 kWh. This yields a range of 158 miles of city riding. Featuring Zero Motorcycles’ Z-Force? motor and high-voltage power system, the Zero DS delivers instant acceleration that is both impressive and, without ever needing to shift, incredibly smooth. This sophisticated yet elegantly simple power delivery system allows riders to take on more challenging terrain by eliminating peripheral inconveniences such as clutching or shifting. The brushless motor is sealed to ensure longevity and operates with such high efficiency that it requires no external cooling systems whatsoever.
For improved on and off-road handling, the Zero DS now features larger 43 mm forks, a completely reworked rear shock and more robust triple clamps. The triple clamps integrate seamlessly into a sophisticated dash that elegantly presents real-time riding data and motorcycle statistics. To improve ride quality and control, the torsional rigidity of the chassis has been increased by making the frame, swingarm and front end more robust. Both the head bearings and swingarm bearings are new and larger. In addition, the brake system now offers more stopping power and control with a larger rear rotor and new rear caliper. With a redesigned chin fairing, seamlessly integrated dash and numerous detailed improvements to fit and finish, the Zero DS has a rugged yet refined appearance that speaks to the thrilling riding experience it has to offer.
Up to 158 miles city range
54 hp (40 kW), 68 ft-lb
98 mph top speed
A refined powertrain integrated with an off-road heritage
The Zero DS is built on the foundation of the Zero S and incorporates technology from Zero’s highly durable off-road motorcycles. The wheels are designed to be particularly lightweight and strong. In the dirt or on the street the dual sport tires maintain a tight grip and a specially engineered suspension system absorbs the bumps. The result is a dual sport motorcycle that is ready for any surface you can throw at it.
Features and Benefits
Game Changing Z-Force? Power Pack
120+ Mi Range / 280,000+ Mi Lifetime
The Zero DS leverages an advanced battery cell chemistry and configuration. Not only does the ZF11.4 power pack enable you to go beyond 120 miles, it is also designed to last the life of the motorcycle. The result of cutting edge research and development, each cell in the power pack is individually controlled and monitored at all times to ensure maximum health. The integrated onboard charger minimizes charge time and can work in parallel with Zero’s quick charge systems. What’s this all mean? Simply put, the Zero DS is a leader for production electric motorcycles in acceleration, range, recharge time and longevity.
- Available in two configurations: ZF8.5 (95 mi) and ZF11.4 (126 mi)
- Compatible with the Power Tank accessory which adds 2.8 kWh of power pack capacity to the motorcycle for a city range of up to 158 miles
- State-of-the-art 102 volt power pack configurations and cell chemistry ?Cells last 2,500 full charge-discharge cycles before hitting 80% capacity, yielding as much as 284,000 miles on the original power pack
- High energy density yields significant range and performance advantages
- Elegant low resistance and highly robust cell interconnect technology
- Advanced battery management system with enhanced 24/7 cell monitoring
- Scalable quick-charge options available to cut recharge times (see specs for details)
- Isolated power systems and 12 volt system for running accessories
- Onboard charger that uses a specially developed and optimized charge profile
New Power Tank Technology
Up to 158 Miles in the City
The Z-Force? Power Tank adds 2.8 kWh of power pack storage capacity to any Zero DS. An optional accessory, the Power Tank can be added at any time during or after motorcycle purchase. For example, if you purchase a Zero DS ZF8.5 you could actually upgrade your motorcycle to have 11.4 kWh of power pack capacity years after you purchase your motorcycle. Alternatively, if you purchase a Zero DS ZF11.4 you could upgrade your motorcycle to have 14.2 kWh of power pack capacity. With that much energy storage capacity you could expect to travel up to 158 miles in the city or 76 miles on the highway.
- Extend the range of any Zero DS model with an additional 2.8 kWh
- The Power Tank can be added at any time before or after purchase
- Can be installed quickly at Zero Motorcycles authorized dealerships
- Includes new bodywork in the tank section of the motorcycle
- Replaces the tank bag area of the motorcycle
Revolutionary Z-Force? Motor
54 hp, 68 ft-lbs… and incredibly efficient
Zero Motorcycles designed the Z-Force? motor from the ground up to be compact, efficient and powerful. It provides you with exhilarating acceleration to a top speed of 98 mph. Completely air cooled, the motor is designed to provide a fantastic riding experience minus the need for any regular maintenance. When slowing down, the motor generates electricity that is channeled back into the power pack to help extend ride times.
- Designed from the ground up by Zero Motorcycles to be the world’s most efficient, powerful, compact, brushless and sealed air-cooled motor
- Produces 54 hp and 68 ft-lbs of torque
- Requires no routine maintenance
- Operates with such high efficiency that it does not require any complex cooling system
- Instant torque and broad power band for impressive acceleration
- Quad-level regenerative system recharges the power pack when decelerating ?Re-gen level is increased during brake application vs. “neutral” deceleration
- Both braking and “neutral” re-gen levels are set higher in Eco vs. Sport mode
- Eco mode re-gen levels can be customized using the Zero Motorcycles App
Frame and Bodywork
Great to look at. Even better to ride.
Aircraft grade aluminum is exclusively used in the construction of the Zero DS twin spar frame. It is lightweight, strong and one of the main reasons that the Zero DS handles incredibly well on the dirt or street. Designed to have a low center of gravity, the Zero DS is highly maneuverable and responsive. The motorcycle’s refined, yet rugged, appearance is completed with sleek bodywork to give it a contemporary, aggressive and naked look. The ‘tank’ section of the bodywork features an integrated storage compartment that is both lockable and removable. The tank section can also be replaced with the Power Tank accessory for an additional 2.8 kWh of power pack capacity.
- Standard passenger accommodation
- Beautifully sculpted bodywork and new chin fairing provides improved cooling of the powertrain
- Integrated, lockable and removable storage compartment
- Extremely rigid and lightweight black twin spar aircraft grade aluminum frame
- Designed to have a low center of gravity for better maneuverability and responsiveness
- Sleek headlight and LED tail light
- The headlight, dash, key switch and bodywork are refined to provide elegant instrumentation and a sleeker front end aesthetic
- Integrated Power Tank frame structure stiffens the frame
Wheels and Brakes
Powerful. Precise. Control.
The Zero DS wheels are engineered to minimize unsprung weight and reduce rotating mass. Developed specifically for the Zero DS, the lightweight construction includes custom hubs, spokes, and rotors. To maximize overall wheel strength, the hub is configured to use straight pull spokes. The resulting wheel is lighter, stronger and more responsive. For maximum stopping power, the Zero DS features robust and easy to modulate Nissin brakes on the front and a new rear brake caliper with a larger 240 mm rotor for more control in the back.
- Robust black wheels ?High strength, lightweight straight pull spokes
- Aggressive profile dual sport tires
- Braking system is precise, easy to modulate and requires little effort
- New rear brake caliper with a larger 240 mm rotor provides more controlled and powerful braking
The Magic Ride
The suspension on the Zero DS was developed by Zero to take advantage of the motorcycle's lightweight design. Its inverted 43 mm forks can be externally adjusted to dial in compression and rebound damping. A rigid double diamond rear swingarm keeps the wheel planted using a custom rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping. The smooth suspension combines with the silence of the powertrain to yield an exhilarating ride that needs to be experienced to be understood.
- Robust triple clamps for improved bearing pre-loading and durability
- Specialized 43 mm front forks and rear shock internals
- Unique double diamond aircraft grade aluminum rear swingarm for reduced weight and increased torsional rigidity
- Front adjustments: Compression and rebound damping
- Rear adjustments: Spring preload, compression and rebound damping
Dash and Controls
Impressive information. Elegantly Displayed.
The dash is designed by Zero to quickly and accurately provide useful data on such information as state of charge, power output and your selected riding profile. You can toggle through three riding profiles using the ergonomic right-hand switch gear to better meet the needs of your ride: Sport, Eco, Custom. The dash screen features a cool blue backlit LCD display and integrates seamlessly into the front of the motorcycle. Want more information about the motorcycle while riding or at home? Try the Zero Motorcycles App.
- High contrast and blue backlit LCD screen features data that allows you to better understand your state of charge, see your current riding profile and view other useful riding information
- Ergonomic right-hand switch assembly with integrated switch to toggle on the fly between Sport, Eco and Custom riding modes
- New custom riding mode setting allows you to set your own performance profile (custom mode performance profile must be configured within the Zero Motorcycles App)
- High intensity headlight
- Keyed ignition switch and steering lock for improved security and peace of mind
- Beautifully designed and comfortable two-up seat
Zero Motorcycles App
Get your Motorcycle Dialed
Using the Zero Motorcycles App you can see detailed information about your motorcycle such as the time until charged, average watts per mile, total charge cycles and much more. When parked, the app allows you to set the custom riding mode’s performance profile by adjusting the parameters for top speed, maximum torque and maximum regenerative braking. While riding, your phone transforms into a customized dash that provides detailed real-time motorcycle information. Synced using Bluetooth, the app works on iPhone and Android mobile devices. The app is available in English, German, French, Spanish and Dutch.
- Bluetooth enabled connectivity for both iPhone and Android mobile devices
- Adjust your custom riding mode’s performance characteristics to meet your particular riding needs with a few swipes of your finger
- Customizable display reports the information that interests you most
Direct Drive Gearing
Instant torque with a twist
Featuring clutchless direct drive, the Zero DS is geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency. Without ever needing to shift, the Zero DS provides controlled and powerful acceleration from any speed between 0-98 mph. The carbon fiber belt allows the Zero DS to achieve minimal frictional losses for increased overall range and is integral to making the powertrain maintenance-free.
- Sophisticatedly simple “just ride” direct-drive system means no clutch, no shifting and no need to carry a heavy and complex transmission
- Maintenance-free and virtually silent belt drive system
- Clutchless single speed that simplifies operation
- Geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency
- Adjustable rear axle to modify belt tension
Plug in at any standard outlet
The Zero DS charging system is integrated into the motorcycle and can be plugged in at any standard outlet. No additional equipment is required for standard charging. This allows you to conveniently charge in your garage, at the office or when you stop at one of your favorite places while enjoying a day out. Plug the Zero DS in during the evening, or while at the office, and it is ready to go when you are. Those interested in fast charging can reduce charge times to as little as one hour using the CHAdeMO accessory.*Motorcycle charges to 95% in around an hour.