You’ve never experienced power and freedom like this. All those things you wished you could get away with... they just became possible. It is said, “Absolute power corrupts absolutely.” Just in case you find this to be true, hit the eco-switch... or don’t.
Delivering a nearly instantaneous 70 ft-lbs of torque, 44 hp and with a low weight of only 280 lbs, the Zero FX takes any type of riding to bold new levels. Stealthily ride at any hour of the day or night, on a motorcycle that distills riding into its most basic and adrenaline-pumping elements.
Tempting you to ride on any terrain that crosses your path, the Zero FX chassis hails from Zero Motorcycles’ championship-winning off-road heritage and features the most advanced Z-Force? technology yet.
Equipped with a maintenance-free powertrain, belt drive and fully modular power pack system, no riding time is wasted and each mile ridden only costs around a penny in electricity.
More Aggressive Front End. Passengers Optional.
From a completely redesigned front end to new optional passenger pegs on the rear, the 2014 Zero FX is more bold and thrilling then ever before. Starting with more robust triple clamps, wider diameter head bearings and a larger 43 mm front fork, the Zero FX front end provides both increased torsional rigidity and a plusher feel when encountering rough terrain. Neatly integrated into the triple clamps is a sophisticated new dash that provides the rider with an abundance of new motorcycle data. Defining the overall appearance of the motorcycle, aggressive looking projector beam headlights are housed in intricately new sculpted bodywork to light up approaching unridden territory.
For improved comfort, the Zero FX now features a new seat that is both neatly integrated into the overall lines of the motorcycle and provides a comfortable passenger location (note: carrying a passenger requires the passenger pegs accessory). Riders will also appreciate increased stopping power and improved braking modulation provided by larger 240 mm rotors on the front and the rear of the motorcycle as well as a new rear caliper and accompanying master cylinder assembly. Providing a more planted feel during cornering, the rear swingarm has been revised and includes new bearings that result in a more torsionally rigid backend. Making ownership easy, the sealed Z-Force? motor, belt drive and highly efficient power pack virtually eliminates all routine powertrain maintenance.
Features and Benefits
Game Changing Z-Force? Power Pack
A fully modular system
The Zero FX features a fully modular power pack system. With slots for two power packs, you can operate the Zero FX with either one or both slots filled. Giving you the ability to charge without a street-level outlet, the modules can be charged either on the motorcycle or elsewhere using optional accessories. The modules also work with optional CHAdeMO and quick-charge accessories to reduce charge times from 0-95% down to one hour.
The Zero FX can be purchased with either one module (ZF2.8) or two modules (ZF5.7).
- Fully modular Z-Force? quick-swap technology allows you to easily upgrade from 2.8 kWh (max) to 5.7 kWh (max) in seconds
- State-of-the-art power pack configuration and cell chemistry ?Cells last 2,500 full charge-discharge cycles before hitting 80% capacity, yielding as much as 158,000 miles on the original power pack
- Isolated power systems and 12 volt system for running accessories
- Modules can be fully removed from the motorcycle and transported to charge anywhere (this requires the purchase of a stand-alone Quick Charger and the Power Pack Module Charging Adapter)
- Module locking system for increased security and peace of mind
- Charge from 0-95% at CHAdeMO charging stations in 1 hour or less using an optional accessory
- Onboard charger that uses a specially developed and highly efficient charge profile
Revolutionary Z-Force? Motor
Thrilling acceleration with 70 ft-lbs. torque
The motor in the Zero FX is configured to produce incredible torque and sits inside the lightest motorcycle in the lineup. The result is thrilling acceleration. Zero Motorcycles designed the Z-Force? motor from the ground up to be compact, efficient and powerful. Completely air cooled, the motor is designed to provide a fantastic riding experience minus the need for any regular maintenance. When slowing down, the motor generates electricity that is channeled back into the power pack to help extend ride times.
- Designed from the ground up by Zero Motorcycles to be the world’s most efficient, powerful, compact, brushless and sealed air-cooled motor
- Produces 44 hp and 70 ft-lbs of torque
- Requires no routine maintenance
- Operates with such high efficiency that it does not require any complex cooling system
- Instant torque and broad power band for impressive acceleration
- Quad-level regenerative system recharges the power pack when decelerating ?Re-gen level is increased during brake application vs. “neutral” deceleration
- Both braking and “neutral” re-gen levels are set higher in Eco vs. Sport mode
- “Custom” mode performance profile can be set using the Zero Motorcycles App
Plug in at any standard outlet
The Zero FX charging system is integrated into the motorcycle and can be plugged in at any standard outlet. No additional equipment is required for standard charging. This allows you to conveniently charge in your garage, at the office or when you stop at one of your favorite places while enjoying a day out. Plug the Zero FX in during the evening, or while at the office, and it is ready to go when you are. Those interested in fast charging can reduce charge times to as little as one hour using the CHAdeMO accessory.*
*Motorcycle charges to 95% in around an hour.
The Zero FX power pack modules can be removed from the motorcycle and charged separately using optional accessories. This makes it possible to charge the modules anywhere you take them and thereby eliminates the necessity of a street-level outlet.
Frame and Bodywork
Light Aircraft Grade Aluminum
At the core of the Zero FX lies the ultimate dirt bike frame that Zero has engineered from the ground up and hand crafted using aircraft grade aluminum. The resulting combination of lower weight and higher strength means more responsiveness. In the corners and off the line this translates into greater acceleration. To make the frame even more durable each one is shot-peened and anodized.
- Rigid, robust and lightweight frame
- Hydroformed top tube for increased strength and reduced weight
- Large cylindrical swingarm cross tube for increased stiffness and suspension response
- Entire frame is shot-peened and anodized for resistance to corrosion and abrasion
- Robust headtube and head bearings for increased torsional rigidity and improved control
- Passenger pegs available as an optional aftermarket accessory
- The headlight, dash, key switch and bodywork are refined to provide elegant instrumentation and a sleeker front end aesthetic
Suspension and handling
Whether in the city or enjoying an off-road exploit, the Zero FX uses a refined suspension system to absorb aggressive terrain. Taking advantage of the motorcycle’s low weight, the 43 mm inverted front fork is robust, light and responsive. Riders can quickly dial it in using the externally adjustable compression and rebound damping. On the rear, a rigid double diamond swingarm keeps the wheel planted using a specially developed rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping.
- Carefully tuned, balanced and improved suspension system: ?43 mm forks for increased torsional rigidity and more precise steering
- Specially tuned for urban riding and occasional off-road use
- Robust triple clamps for improved bearing pre-loading and durability
- Steel stanchions for increased strength, rigidity and control
- Front adjustments: compression and rebound damping
- Rear adjustments: spring preload, compression and rebound damping
- Refined contact points: ?Aggressive saw tooth profile footpegs to maintain foot position and control
- Standardized footpeg clevis for greater aftermarket options
- Handlebars with adjustable risers
- Ergonomic riding position for better control
- Comfortable seat to accommodate longer rides
Powerful and Controlled
Because you’ll be going faster in the corners and riding harder with instant torque at any RPM, the Zero FX features robust stopping power and a precise brake feel.
- 240 mm front and rear rotors for improved braking force and heat dissipation
- New rear brake caliper provides excellent braking modulation
- Front Nissin brake is precise, easy to modulate and requires little effort
- Powerful and high performance braking system with increased fade resistance
- Steel braided lines for improved lever feel and precise brake modulation
- Wide parts commonality on account of standard-size mount patterns
Wheels and Tires
Hook Up in the Turns
The Zero FX alloy wheels are designed to reduce unsprung weight while not compromising on strength. During acceleration instant torque is efficiently channeled into motion through a beefy rear tire and directed using an equally aggressive front.
- 21” front and 18” rear tires for improved off-road handling and more tire options
- Aggressive dual sport tires (front and rear)
Direct Drive Gearing
Instant torque with a twist
Featuring a clutchless direct drive, the Zero FX is geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency. Without ever needing to shift, the Zero FX provides controlled and powerful acceleration from any speed between 0-85 mph. The carbon fiber belt allows the Zero FX to achieve minimal frictional losses for increased overall range and is integral to making the powertrain maintenance-free.
- Sophisticatedly simple “just ride” direct-drive system means no clutch, no shifting and no need to carry a heavy and complex transmission
- Maintenance-free and virtually silent belt drive system
- Clutchless single speed that simplifies operation
- Geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency
- Adjustable rear axle to modify belt tension
Dash and Controls
Impressive information. Elegantly Displayed.
The dash is designed by Zero to quickly and accurately provide useful data on such information as state of charge, power output and your selected riding profile. You can toggle through three riding profiles using the ergonomic right-hand switch gear to better meet the needs of your ride: Sport, Eco, Custom. The dash screen features a cool blue backlit LCD display and integrates seamlessly into the front of the motorcycle. Want more information about the motorcycle while riding or at home? Try the Zero Motorcycles App.
- High contrast and blue backlit LCD screen features data that allows you to better understand your state of charge, see your current riding profile and view other useful riding information
- Ergonomic right-hand switch assembly with integrated switch to toggle on the fly between Sport, Eco and Custom riding modes
- New custom riding mode setting allows you to set your own performance profile (custom mode performance profile must be configured within the Zero Motorcycles App)
- New projector beam headlights and integrated fly screen provides a more refined and contemporary front profile
- Keyed ignition switch and steering lock for improved security and peace of mind
- New seat is more integrated, more ergonomic and designed to carry a passenger (optional passenger pegs are required to carry a passenger)
Zero Motorcycles App
Get your Motorcycle Dialed
Using the Zero Motorcycles App you can see detailed information about your motorcycle such as the time until charged, average watts per mile, total charge cycles and much more. When parked, the app allows you to set the custom riding mode’s performance profile by adjusting the parameters for top speed, maximum torque and maximum regenerative braking. While riding, your phone transforms into a customized dash that provides detailed real-time motorcycle information. Synced using Bluetooth, the app works on iPhone and Android mobile devices. The app is available in English, German, French, Spanish and Dutch.