The “R” configuration of the Zero S is designed for riders who simply want to go faster and accelerate harder. Aptly named on account of its performance and ability to dominate, the Zero SR features a larger 660 amp motor controller that provides 24% more power and 56% higher torque, delivering 106 ft-lbs. To accommodate the increased power, the Zero SR motor uses higher temperature magnets to ensure better performance during extended durations at higher speeds.
Capable of doing 0-60 mph in 3.3 seconds and of hitting over 100 mph using direct drive, the Zero SR offers spirited riders an edge in competitive riding. The only motorcycle in the lineup available in red, the tank section of the motorcycle is highlighted with a sophisticated “Zero SR” emblem and the tail section features the motor controller with a bold and elegantly designed heat sink.
Interested in torque and acceleration? Meet the Zero SR. With 106 ft-lbs of torque and capable of 0-60 mph in 3.3 seconds, the Zero SR is the fastest electric motorcycle that we have ever released.
Features and Benefits
Game Changing Z-Force? Power Pack: 130+ Mi Range / 300,000+ Mi Lifetime
The 2014 Zero S leverages an advanced battery cell chemistry and configuration. Not only does the ZF11.4 power pack enable you to go beyond 130 miles, it is also designed to last the life of the motorcycle. The result of cutting edge research and development, each cell in the power pack is individually controlled and monitored at all times to ensure maximum health. The highly efficient onboard charger minimizes charge time and can work in parallel with Zero’s quick charge systems. What’s this all mean? Simply put, the Zero S is the leader for production electric motorcycles in acceleration, range, recharge time and longevity.
- Available in two configurations: ZF8.5 (103 mi) and ZF11.4 (137 mi)
- Compatible with the Power Tank accessory which adds 2.8 kWh of power pack capacity to the motorcycle for a city range of up to 171 miles
- State-of-the-art 102 volt power pack configurations and cell chemistry ?Cells last 2,500 full charge-discharge cycles before hitting 80% capacity, yielding as much as 308,000 miles on the original power pack
- High energy density yields significant range and performance advantages
- Elegant low resistance and highly robust cell interconnect technology
- Advanced battery management system with enhanced 24/7 cell monitoring
- Scalable quick-charge options available to cut recharge times (see specs for details)
- Isolated power systems and 12 volt system for running accessories
- Onboard charger that uses a specially developed and optimized charge profile
New Power Tank Technology: Up to 171 Miles in the City
The Z-Force? Power Tank adds 2.8 kWh of power pack storage capacity to any 2014 Zero S. An optional accessory, the Power Tank can be added at any time during or after motorcycle purchase. For example, if you purchase a 2014 Zero S ZF8.5 you could actually upgrade your motorcycle to have 11.4 kWh of power pack capacity years after you purchase your motorcycle. Alternatively, if you purchase a 2014 Zero S ZF11.4 you could upgrade your motorcycle to have 14.2 kWh of power pack capacity. With that much energy storage capacity you could expect to travel up to 171 miles in the city or 88 miles on the highway.
- Extend the range of any 2014 Zero S model with an additional 2.8 kWh
- The Power Tank can be added at any time before or after purchase
- Can be installed quickly at Zero Motorcycles authorized dealerships
- Includes new bodywork in the tank section of the motorcycle
- Replaces the tank bag area of the motorcycle
Revolutionary Z-Force? Motor: Up to 67 HP, 106 FT-LBS… and incredibly efficient
Zero Motorcycles designed the Z-Force? motor from the ground up to be compact, efficient and powerful. It provides you with exhilarating acceleration to a top speed of 102 mph as configured in the Zero SR. Completely air cooled, the motor is designed to provide a fantastic riding experience minus the need for any regular maintenance. When slowing down, the motor generates electricity that is channeled back into the power pack to help extend ride times.
- Designed from the ground up by Zero Motorcycles to be the world’s most efficient, powerful, compact, brushless and sealed air-cooled motor
- Produces up to 67 hp and 106 ft-lbs of torque as configured in the Zero SR
- Requires no routine maintenance
- Operates with such high efficiency that it does not require any complex cooling system
- Increased available torque on the Zero SR and a broad power band for impressive acceleration
- Quad-level regenerative system recharges the power pack when decelerating ?Re-gen level is increased during brake application vs. “neutral” deceleration
- Both braking and “neutral” re-gen levels are set higher in Eco vs. Sport mode
- “Custom” mode performance profile can be set using the Zero Motorcycles App
- Zero SR model contains high temperature magnets for better performance at very high sustained top speeds
Frame and Bodywork
Great to look at. Even better to ride.
Aircraft grade aluminum is exclusively used in the construction of the Zero S twin spar frame. It is lightweight, strong and one of the main reasons that the Zero S handles incredibly well. Designed to have a low center of gravity, the Zero S is highly maneuverable and responsive. The motorcycle’s refined appearance is completed with sleek new bodywork to give it a contemporary, aggressive and naked look. The ‘tank’ section of the bodywork features an integrated storage compartment that is both lockable and removable. The tank section can also be replaced with the Power Tank accessory for an additional 2.8 kWh of power pack capacity.
- Standard passenger accommodation
- Beautifully sculpted bodywork and new chin fairing provides improved cooling of the powertrain
- Integrated, lockable and removable storage compartment
- Extremely rigid and lightweight black twin spar aircraft grade aluminum frame
- Designed to have a low center of gravity for better maneuverability and responsiveness
- Sleek headlight and LED tail light
- The headlight, dash, key switch and bodywork are refined to provide elegant instrumentation and a sleeker front end aesthetic
- Integrated Power Tank frame structure stiffens the frame
Wheels and Brakes: Powerful. Precise. Control.
The Zero S uses weight and strength optimized cast wheels that are specifically developed for, and exclusively installed on, the Zero S. For maximum stopping power, the Zero S features robust and easy to modulate Nissin brakes on the front and a new rear brake caliper with a larger 240 mm rotor for more control in the back.
- Only model to feature Zero’s weight and strength optimized cast wheels
- Braking system is precise, easy to modulate and requires little effort
- New rear brake caliper with a larger 240 mm rotor provides more controlled and powerful braking
- 140 rear tire for a larger contact patch and better traction
Suspension: The Magic Ride
The suspension on the Zero S was developed by Zero to take advantage of the motorcycle's lightweight design. Its inverted 43 mm forks can be externally adjusted to dial in compression and rebound damping. A rigid double diamond rear swingarm keeps the wheel planted using a custom rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping. The smooth suspension combines with the silence of the powertrain to yield an exhilarating ride that needs to be experienced to be understood.
- Robust triple clamps, headtube and head bearings for improved torsional rigidity, control and durability
- Specialized 43 mm front forks and rear shock internals
- Unique double diamond aircraft grade aluminum rear swingarm for reduced weight and increased torsional rigidity
- Front adjustments: compression and rebound damping
- Rear adjustments: spring preload, compression and rebound damping
Dash and Controls: Impressive information. Elegantly Displayed.
The dash is designed by Zero to quickly and accurately provide useful data on such information as state of charge, power output and your selected riding profile. You can toggle through three riding profiles using the ergonomic right-hand switch gear to better meet the needs of your ride: Sport, Eco, Custom. The dash screen features a cool blue backlit LCD display and integrates seamlessly into the front of the motorcycle. Want more information about the motorcycle while riding or at home? Try the Zero Motorcycles App.
- High contrast and blue backlit LCD screen features data that allows you to better understand your state of charge, see your current riding profile and view other useful riding information
- Ergonomic right-hand switch assembly with integrated switch to toggle on the fly between Sport, Eco and Custom riding modes
- New custom riding mode setting allows you to set your own performance profile (custom mode performance profile must be configured within the Zero Motorcycles App)
- High intensity headlight
- Keyed ignition switch and steering lock for improved security and peace of mind
- Beautifully designed and comfortable two-up seat
Zero Motorcycles App: Get your Motorcycle Dialed
Using the Zero Motorcycles App you can see detailed information about your motorcycle such as the time until charged, average watts per mile, total charge cycles and much more. When parked, the app allows you to set the custom riding mode’s performance profile by adjusting the parameters for top speed, maximum torque and maximum regenerative braking. While riding, your phone transforms into a customized dash that provides detailed real-time motorcycle information. Synced using Bluetooth, the app works on iPhone and Android mobile devices. The app is available in English, German, French, Spanish and Dutch.
Direct Drive Gearing: Instant torque with a twist
Featuring clutchless direct drive, the Zero S is geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency. Without ever needing to shift, the Zero S provides controlled and powerful acceleration until you reach your desired speed. The carbon fiber belt allows the Zero S to achieve minimal frictional losses for increased overall range and is integral to making the powertrain maintenance-free.
- Sophisticatedly simple “just ride” direct-drive system means no clutch, no shifting and no need to carry a heavy and complex transmission
- Maintenance-free and virtually silent belt drive system
- Clutchless single speed that simplifies operation
- Geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency
- Adjustable rear axle to modify belt tension
Charge Anywhere: Plug in at any standard outlet
The Zero S charging system is integrated into the motorcycle and can be plugged in at any standard outlet. No additional equipment is required for standard charging. This allows you to conveniently charge in your garage, at the office or when you stop at one of your favorite places while enjoying a day out. Plug the Zero S in during the evening, or while at the office, and it is ready to go when you are. Those interested in fast charging can reduce charge times to as little as one hour using the CHAdeMO accessory.*Motorcycle charges to 95% in around an hour.